Speaking with IgbereTv newsmen on Saturday, the landlord of the shopping complex, Chief Madu Shibata, the Enyi of Ibeku said he received a phone call from his younger sister at about 3am on Saturday, notifying him of a fire incident in the complex.
“She told me my building along Lagos Street by Owerri road was on fire. Before I could get there, men of the fire service were there but unfortunately, their presence was of little value because they came without water. Only residents of the area were able to come to our rescue. Their intervention prevented the fire from encroaching to nearby buildings.
Sadly, nothing was saved from the affected shops. Goods worth millions of Naira burnt to ashes” he said.
Two of the suspected thieves however met their waterloo when the vigilant security men in the area apprehended two of them.
Speaking with Igbere Tv, an eyewitnesses (name withheld) said they confessed to the crime.
“They said they were frustrated by their inability to burgle one of shops and cart away the goods inside. They therefore resolves in ventilating their anger by setting the shop on fire which affected four other shops”, he said.
Igbere TV learnt that the suspects were handed over to the police for further investigation.